Before you begin... A parent should find the Sunday reading online or find it in your Bible. Readings can be accessed at https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings.
Praying with Scripture
- Begin with prayer. Invite the Holy Spirit to be present during your conversation.
- Read the daily or Sunday Mass readings aloud. For younger children, focus on just the Gospel reading (from Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John in the New Testament).
- Ask questions to determine comprehension and where the Lord has spoken to your heart. Spend as much time as is necessary. Questions to help with this:
- What is this Bible story about? What do you think the person writing this was trying to say?
- What is God teaching us through this story?
- Conclude with prayer. Thank the Lord for your time together with the Word of God and this time as a family.
- Do something fun together! Perhaps it is a fun activity that fits the theme of the Gospel. Perhaps it is baking a favorite treat together or playing outside. Maybe it is doing a kind deed as a family for someone in need.
Looking for more ways to celebrate Sunday throughout the week? 52 Sundays provides resources every week for families centered around the Sunday scripture. Check it out here. Content is updated weekly.